On average it takes ten years for a person to address their hearing loss. Often, it can take a while for a person to notice there is a problem, since hearing loss is often a progressive condition - it is often loved ones who notice before the individual. It can take even longer for a person to come to terms and accept that they may have a hearing loss. However, earlier treatment can improve outcomes and, in the majority of cases, we hear that people wish they had gotten their hearing loss treated sooner – earlier detection can improve outcomes and make the transition to hearing aids easier. But how do you tell if you have got a hearing loss?
Maybe you have noticed that life is starting to sound a little less vibrant? Or maybe you are struggling to hear the television or people talking when there is background noise? If this sounds familiar, its’ possible you could be living with some degree of hearing loss.
Read on to find out what the symptoms of hearing loss are and what you can do if you suspect you may be one of the estimated 11 million people in the UK living with hearing loss.
Symptoms of hearing loss
- You often have to ask people to repeat themselves or don’t hear what they say
- You find conversation in groups difficult to follow
- You find it difficult to hear people on the telephone
- People often tell you that your TV or radio volume is too high
- You struggle to hear conversations when there is background noise such as in a café or noisy office
- You often feel as though people are mumbling when talking to you
- You find it difficult to identify where a sound is coming from
- You find yourself avoiding social situations because you are concerned that you won’t be able to hear
- People have suggested that your hearing may not be what it used to be
If you have experienced any of these symptoms, then a hearing test with a qualified hearing care professional may be beneficial to you. They can provide a definitive answer to whether you are experiencing a hearing loss and we will give you expert advice about the next steps if a hearing loss is detected.
So, why wait?
The sooner you have a hearing test, the sooner you can get onto the road to better hearing, and the sooner you can start to lead a normal life.
Book an appointment today with a hearing care specialist.
Find a local hearing professional.